Thursday, March 8, 2012

Landed

Landed safe and after obtaining a $20 visa at the airport....I sailed through custms no problem,very organized set up.
I was picked up by an assigned driver and taken to the apt...to meet with the couple that was to also be volunteering.I have been honored to be paired with A Physical Therapist who is a Hand therapist and her husband,a hand surgeon.
We spent our first day exloring our apt and neighbourhood
We shopped for groceries and ate out the first night...our first meal was italian...a big cuisine here...and guess what! I ate Lasagna that was just like Mom's...this must be where she got all her recipes for her italian pizza's and pasta's...Italian influence came here long ago through Mousalini...

The climate and culture is much like India but less humidity..and a very pleasant breeze,we are after all at 8000 ft.

I haven't had much time to explore the city outside of Addis University and the Black Lion hospital

We also visited ALERT   the Leprosy hospital, where a famous hand surgeon named Brand came to learn and teach about the hands and set up a therapy center for them

I am in awe of the patients and therapists I saw there...and hope to go there again...

At the Black Lion hospital we see patients and teach the BSc PT's for their Doctoral program-our prt is the hand and wrist and elbow

I love it here and feel very welcome...apparently everyone thinks I look ethiopian,without a straightener for my hair ,I would agree.Anyway  they are always suprised to here I was born here and that I am back...

more later.....more about the population and the culture....

No comments:

Post a Comment